- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- About 1/4 cup grape seed or olive oil
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 diced (1/2 in.) peeled firm-ripe pears (preferably Anjou pears)
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat sugar, egg, and oil until well blended, about 2 minutes.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves.
3. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir just until evenly moistened. Stir in diced pears and nuts.
4. Oil a 9x13 inch pan and place in the oven. Essentially, you're preheating the oil before pouring in the batter.
7. Bake in a 350° oven until top of cake looks caramelized, about 45 minutes (about 30 minutes in a convection oven).
8. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cool; cut into rectangles and lift out with a spatula. Dust with powdered sugar.